Sunday, June 20, 2010

Blog #5

smart board image in the classroom setting


Staton and Ferriter made some harsh statements against the Smart Board. Yes, the Smart Board in the wrong hands can be a useless tool. I feel it is up to the teacher to initiate the learning environment. I do believe that a teacher with little creativity can make teaching on a Smart Board boring. I don't believe the board enforces a teacher-centric model of learning, I think the teacher does that. If a teacher is used to just lecturing a class with little feedback, a Smart Board will be useless for their classroom. I had a chance to look at Teachers Love SMART Boards and saw some many useful ways that the SMART Board is being used. I can't even list all the applications I saw for the SMART Board. I saw everything from simple math games to science experiment demonstrations. I saw a tool where the board providing an excellent environment for interaction for special needs students. The tool was called SMART Response LE. Each student has a little handheld device and can answer questions during the lesson. The teacher can see how the students answer and this tells the teacher what areas need to be reviewed. The applications are endless, but it is up the the teacher to explore the tools available.


I know that having a SMART Board isn't the only answer to bringing technology into the classroom, but it is a start. Also, it shouldn't be the only method of teaching in the classroom. I still think there are some times when the teacher does need to be in front of the class explaining or demonstrating subjects. We can't expect the students to do everything by themselves. What would be the use of going to an actual classroom.

Well, I enjoyed watching EDM310 for Dummies. I was feeling the same way in the beginning of this class. I am really starting to appreciate this class even though it has been a lot of work. I may want to create a short video about the progression of technology through my lifetime. I find it pretty amazing all the advances in technology that have been made over the years and how quick it has been. I showed my daughter what an Atari game looked like the other day and she laughed. I laughed to how could I think that a game called Pong with no graphics be that fun. I remember what the first cell phones looked like. They were not stylish at all. I sometimes laugh with my friends about that one still. I know a few years from now we will be looking back at our laptops and think how did we survive using those things.


3 comments:

  1. Melissa,

    I am so glad you feel differently about the class. I felt the exact same way, and that is why we made this video. I think the video about technology in your life would be very interesting. I also laugh about things that first came out. I can't even imagine 10 years from now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent analysis of the smartboard issue Melissa. I agree with you, the smartboard is simply a tool the teacher sets the pace in the classroom. No matter how bad or good the tools are, the attitude and skills of the teacher make the difference.

    I also like your idea about a video on how technology has changed in your life time. This would also make a great Time Toast time line topic. SS

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Melissa! I do agree with you about the smartboards in the classrooms. I do love that they are there and they ARE a wonderful tool for the classroom when it comes to technology. I also do believe that the teacher should not rely on this tool for all teaching purposes and lessons. The teacher should be able to do his/her job without the smartboard but be able to use it when the situation calls.

    ReplyDelete