Sunday, June 27, 2010

Blog Post # 7



I was really impressed with this speech. Not only was it very informative, but it was very inspirational. I really don't know anything about virtual reality, but I believe Pausch's beliefs and methods of teaching can be used in any setting.

I liked the fact that Pausch's students had to work in groups and that the people in the groups changed. I believe students need to learn to work with others as well as with people they do not choose to be with. In the work force most people have to work with others and most of the time we don't have a choice of who we work with. Group work allows students to get along with people and talk to people that they normally wouldn't under normal circumstances. It also allows students to share ideas with each other. Each student has something different that he or she can contribute to a group. When the end product is finished the group has something that they can all be proud of. They are not only proud of themselves, but they are proud of each other.

Pausch also said, "Give people time and they'll almost always impress you." I think that is a good statement for teachers to remember. When you are in the classroom the students learn at different levels. A student may shine right away or it may take months for another. A teacher should not give up on a student at any cost.

Pausch also said to enable the dreams of others. I believe that is one of the main roles of a teacher. Children have many dreams. Who knows that little childhood dream may turn into something spectacular in adulthood. Teachers need to be encourages, after all they are molding the future generation.

I probably can go on and on about this speech, but I especially like the positive attitude that Pausch had toward life. I believe as a future educator I need to have a positive attitude. There will be many brick walls ahead of me. Things won't always go my way. I will be criticized. Even though all those things will happen I need to learn from them and use all of those moments for something positive.


2 comments:

  1. Hi Melissa,
    I definitely agree with you that one of the best traits of Mr. Pausch was his positive outlook on life despite his terrible situation.

    I also believe that his theory of enabling others to accomplish their dreams should be the main goal for teachers. If it is not our goal what else are we there for?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa,

    You make a good point about collaborative learning with this statement ... I liked the fact that Pausch's students had to work in groups and that the people in the groups changed. We do not learn in a vacuum! From childhood, we learn from our families, our communities, our teachers and our peers. I think that working in groups is imperative for us to not only learn concepts but to learn how to interact with others and be successful. That is what we as educators have to do with our students.

    ReplyDelete