Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Blog Post #8

teacher's apple



"What I've Learned This Year" by Mr. McClung

I am glad that we were assigned to read this blog post. As future teachers I believe we need all the advice that we can get. I do feel nervous about my first classroom. I wonder if my students will like me. Will they be able to learn from me? Mr. McClung's post made me feel a little more at ease with the idea. I will not know everything when I step into the classroom, but that is okay.

I like the fact that Mr.McClung is willing to adapt to the classroom. I agree that instruction needs to be audience driven. What good is it to stand in front of a class where no one is paying any attention to you. Also, things won't always go your way. As teachers that is something we need to get used to. Not everyone learns the same way.

Communication is definitely important in the classroom.It is essential to know what is on students' minds. Also, students should feel comfortable enough with their teachers to talk to them.

I definitely will take the advice of not being afraid of technology. I am not afraid of computers, but sometimes it can be a little difficult learning something new. I have learned that repetition makes things easier. I also know I will never know everything, but there are people out there that can help.

I also will never stop learning as Mr.McClung suggests. Unfortunately, I have had instructors that just insist on teaching the same old way that they are used to. I hope I never become that way. I want to keep my students interested and exposed to new technology. As an teacher I need to be willing to keep up with the times.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent post Melissa! Your reflective analysis of your own feelings about the Mclung blog indicates that you are and will be a life long learner. This is one of the most important qualities of a good teacher. As long as you know you always have more to learn and enjoy learning you will be able to engage your studetns and keep them motivated.

    Keep up the good work! SS

    ReplyDelete