Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Post 4

Timeline



I guess I can say I learned a lot about podcast. I have never really been to familiar with them, but I have always heard about them. For one, I never knew that a podcast was like an actual radio broadcast.I think it is kind of neat how you can make a podcast via Skype and the people sound like they are in the same room. I also was not aware that so many people are using podcasts. It's great to see the students using it. They seem to be having fun while they are learning.I'm new to podcasting and this gives me a little reassurance. If an elementary student can do it, so can I.

Also, there seems to be many benefits of podcasting.It really seems like it enhancing the learning experience in the classroom. Like I mentioned earlier the students seem to be having fun. They are involved in teaching the other students.The students can share their learning experience with others anywhere in the world. In one of the videos, it mentioned that podcasts are a way for students to listen to school material while they are not in school. This is helpful if they are sick or if they just need some extra studying time. I have always found it better to listen to a lesson than to read it out of a text. I remember studying Shakespeare. I had a hard time reading it and struggled with Shakespeare. I found some tapes at the library that were word for word with the books and I found it easier to understand.

Eagles’ Nest Radio & Class Blog

I was very impressed with these students. I thought it was pretty cool how they acted out the parts of the historical characters. Sometimes history can be dull when you just read it straight out of a book. The students sounded like they really had fun. They were able to take an active role in their learning process. I'm sure they actually learned quite a bit just preparing for these podcast. I think it gives young children more incentive to learn facts when they know they are going to use it in a fun way rather than to just take a written test.

I also think it is great to get students used to speaking in front of others. Many kids are shy in school and rarely speak up. Podcasts give students practice in speaking in front of others. The more they practice the more confidence that they have. The students in these podcasts at Eagles' Nest Radio sound very clear and confident.

The Education Podcast Network

I found this site pretty interesting. It is a good place for teachers or anyone to explore various podcasts. I think this is a good starting place to go to before creating your own podcast for the classroom. Here you can listen to podcasts in various styles. I found it very helpful to listen to the various podcasts. Some were very formal and done by university professors and others were done by elementary students.

This site is also good for students to listen to check out. They can see what students in other countries are doing. It gives them exposure to other cultures other than their own. It also might encourage students to want to create their own podcasts.

The benefits of podcasting in the classroom

This video gave some very good reasons to podcast in the classroom and it convinced me. I find it very useful to have recorded lectures. I think most students would rather refer to a recording to study than to read. Also, if a student was home sick they would not miss out on material that the rest of the class received. The video also mentioned that parents could listen to the podcasts anytime. This gives parents' a chance to know what their child is learning rather coming to the school. Most parents work and are too busy to do a classroom visit.

This video also mentioned that children born after 1980 were "millennial" meaning they were born into technology. They are used to computers, video games, cell phones, and other electronics. I find that to be true. My ten year old daughter has always had some type of electronic device ever since she was a toddler. She played with dolls but, they never really kept her interest like the computer or video game system did. I have also notice that when kids have a chance to use the SMART board, they seem to get really excited to use it regardless of the subject. Technology seems to spark an interest in today's children.

Langwitches Blog

Once again it is shown that podcasting really sparks students' interest. They were eager to listen to the finished product. Like I mentioned earlier the teacher here said that even the shy students participated. She also shared the different skills the students addressed through podcasting. Students had a chance to work on listening skills, presenting, comprehension, oral fluency, and many other skills. I only wish podcasting was available when I was in elementary school.

I also like the fact that she had a Google map to track who had listened to the students' podcasts. I know the children must find it fascinating that someone across the world was able to listen to them. The children must feel very proud of themselves from all of the praise that they received in the comments. What a confidence booster!

2 comments:

  1. "If an elementary student can do it, so can I." Absolutely!
    "I think most students would rather refer to a recording to study than to read." I think you are correct. I would add video.

    Will you be a podcasting teacher? I hope so!

    Thoughtful. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like all I am doing is copying what Dr. Strange and you said,"If an elementary student can do it, so can I." The reason why I repeated it is because it is exactly how I feel about podcasting. I was expecting to watch a video, and although it is not a video it is still very effective teaching method. I bet the students learned and remembered the information a lot better. Here is a link to Eagles Nest's radio podcast for anyone who would like to check it out.

    ReplyDelete