Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Blog Post 2

Michael Wesch: A Vision of Students Today
I watched this video and it is sad. The first time I took a college course was in 1993 and I see very little changes to college education. The most changes I saw were more modern buildings, newer computers, professors using PowerPoints to lecture, and improved cafeterias. Well, some professors have their own web pages, but they aren't interactive. Most of them just have contact information, the syllabus, homework assignments or study guides. I have taken some classes where I never opened the book. There were some classes where I did work that didn't pertain to the class. Overall, I never really participated in class unless it was mandatory. My education experience must sound horrible, but I did learn. I'm not trying to criticize my professors because I understand they are only teaching in the style that they were taught.

I think Wesch was pretty on point in this short video. I can't think of anything to add to the video. He made some very good points. The one sign in the film that made me think was the one where the student said they will be in debt after college. I don't think it is fair for students to pay for an education where they are not getting their money's worth.

"It's Not About the Technology" by Kelly Hines

Hi, my name is Melissa Jones and I am also one of Dr. Strange's EDM 310 students.I have read you post as part of my assignment and I find your point of view very interesting. We are living in a society where modern technology is stressed. There so much more to a good teacher than technology. Technology by itself is nothing unless it is used by the right hands. Teachers need to be enthusiastic about their career and be willing to continue to learn for improvement not just for credentials on paper. I have always found that my best teachers always had a passion in what they were doing. They took pride in their career and truly cared about the outcome of each and every students. A good teacher to me is willing to learn all that they can to help benefit their students.
I also find those core outcomes from the Partnership for 21st Century Skills framework for learning very interesting. I will check out that website on my spare time. Thank you for your post and you can read my comments at My Blog.

Karl Fisch: Is It Okay to be A Technologically Illiterate Teacher?

This was an interesting post and may seem a little harsh to some. I don't believe Fisch was trying to criticize anyone for not being technological illiterate but, instead trying to make a point that many people are comfortable not learning anything new. Many people and teachers are complacent with where they are. An example of this was when Fisch mentioned that many parents said they were never good at math and not ashamed of it as if it was an acceptable thing.

The point that needs to be taken from this is that our world is always changing. Teachers need to be able to equip students for the future. How can they equip students for the future if they themselves are not willing to learn anything new?

Gary Hayes Social Media Count

It is amazing all the changes happening every second and the amount of money made each second through technology. The world around us is changing at such a rapid rate. I know as a teacher I will have to stay up to date on modern technology. I definitely do not want to be left behind. I know I have to constantly learn so I can prepare my students. I may be an elementary education major and I won't be required to teach the more advanced things that are required in higher grades, but I do believe that a good foundation in elementary school will carry students far in their futures.


2 comments:

  1. Hi Melissa!
    I really enjoyed reading your post for assignment two. What stuck out to me was the point you made after Karl Fisch. How are we teachers supposed to equip students to be technologically smart if we are not willing to learn ourselves?
    Also I have only been in college for three years now and I find myself not going to class and never cracking open a book. That is because does not know my name and the teacher does not take attendance. So why should I go to class? I know the answer is to learn, but I cannot learn in an environment where I am read to at all times.

    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wesch
    You wrote "I understand they are only teaching in the style that they were taught." And now you are beginning to see in EDM310 way it is so important that YOU do not teach the way you were taught!
    Hines:
    In your spare time you might enjoy watching Ms. Hines Skype Session with EDM310 last semester. It lasts about 30 minutes.
    Fisch:
    I think you understood his position exactly. It's the willingness to learn that is essential.
    Hayes:
    You will soon find out that it is essential that you do teach using the most advanced tools we have today and you will see many examples of how teachers do it starting in the first. You have just begun your learning adventure in EDM310.

    Well written, thoughtful.

    And now a note related to Erin's comment above. Erin says: "I cannot learn in an environment where I am read to at all times." That is increasingly true for the current generation of students who have been raised in a multimedia world. I think all teachers must use all medias (print, images, graphics,audio, video and combinations thereof) because Erin is typical of the students that you will have in your classroom!

    ReplyDelete